As agencies see changes in cyber monitoring and reporting approaches, challenges still remain to mitigating insider threats – both malicious and unintentional. With minimum standards for insider threat programs part of recent mandates, and new guidance and a government-wide program expected to deploy over the coming months, the balance between security and access is tough to find. “Need to know” vs. “Need to share” is a continued debated in Intel, civilian, and DoD circles.
- What tools are in place to allow agencies to proactively identify potential insider threats?
- What types of employee behaviors or deviations are agencies looking for that may signal a threat?
- How can agencies incorporate big data analytics to recognize behavior signaling a potential insider security risk?
- How will updated guidance on Executive Order 13587 be helpful?
- Does the broader surveillance debate impact agencies ability to mitigate these threats?